If you want to know the weight of solar panels in kg, know that the Solar panels weigh around 1-2 kgs per square foot. And, the average weight of a solar panel at home weighs around 40-50 kgs.
Solar panels are becoming very common day by day. People are shifting their choice to solar to save money, time, and effort at the same time. Hence they have been making investments in solar panels for decades now.
Before we go deep into the topic, you must know how big solar panels are. This will let you know how much impact it will have on the rooftops.
A solar panel weighs as low as 31 pounds. It may also weigh as high as 52 pounds. This may vary all across the brands. When it is about commercial panels, know that they may vary in terms of weight.
Commercial panels are much heavier than others in comparison. It weighs up to 50 pounds or even more than that. The weight of solar panels per square foot gives variation depending on the brand.
More importantly, the weight of the specific solar panels is the total weight of the installation. It impacts the rooftops accordingly. Solar panels are mounted outdoors. Free solar panels are not so easy. It is quite common to install solar panels.
Table of Contents
How Heavy Are Solar Panels?
A typical solar panel weighs around 1-2 kg per square with mounting structures. It is usually offering acceptable limits of roof loading.
- Solar panels are around 40 pounds
- Solar panels are approximately 5.4 feet long and 3.75 feet wide
- Each module typically consists of 60 solar cells
- When it is to the commercial solar panels the solar cells can turn into 72 solar cells
- An extra weight of the solar panels has a weight of 2.7 pounds per square foot and also goes up to 98 cells
Before you understand the dimensions of a solar panel, you must know what size are solar panels and how they should be used to create ways accordingly.
Guide On: Do Solar Panels Work On Cloudy Days?
What Are The Dimensions Of A Solar Panel?
- Solar panel dimensions are about 68 inches X 39 inches
- The panels offer a dimension of 5.4 feet X 3.25 feet
- Solar panels at times are available at 61.3 inches X 41.2 inches
- The standard dimension of a solar cell is 157 mm X 157 mm (6 inches X 6 inches)
- Panels with 72 cell configuration are 39 inches X 66 inches i.e 3.75 feet X5.5 feet
- The thickness of a 60-cell or 72-cell solar panel comes at 40 mm
What Makes Solar Panels So Heavy?
When it is about solar panels being heavy, it is something that lets you know the components of a standard solar panel.
- Aluminum frame
- Encapsulation foil 1
- Encapsulation foil 2
- Junction box
- Back sheet
- Stringed solar cells
- Tempered cover glass
Solar cells are the primary power to generate components, but they weigh a few hundred grams. In most cases, the weight of the panel is due to the glass as well as the frame of the aluminum.
How Much Do Commercial Solar Panels Weigh?
- In most cases, it is seen that solar panels weigh about 40-50 pounds. Solar panels add about 2.8 pounds per square foot.
- It is applicable for pitched roofs. And, when it is for flat roofs, they add almost 5 pounds per square foot.
- The surface area is a 340-watt solar panel. And it is 2.5 meters X 1 meter (6.7 feet X 3.75 feet.
- The weight is approximately 25-28 kg
How To Calculate How Many Solar Panels You Need?
The amount of power required by the household is the average requirement of power. Once done, it is possible to know how many solar panels I need. A kilowatt is a measurement of power that has a kilowatt hour.
One must know how to multiply the hourly consumption of energy by the hours of sunlight in your region. Once you get the answer, you can divide it by the wattage of the panel.
The energy is used to generate electricity or be stored in batteries along with batteries and thermal storage. With this area, you can calculate the area-
Area required for solar panels = Total No. of solar panels x Area of 1 panel
Q1. How Heavy Are Solar Panels?
Ans1. Heavy solar panels are 19 kgs with 60 cells. The weight of a 72-cell solar panel is about 25-28kgs.
Q2. What is the average solar panel weight per watt?
Ans2. On average, a solar panel weighs 1-2 kgs per square foot along with the mounting structure. But the wattage level is 250-watt crystalline panels that can typically weigh up to 20kgs.
Q3. Do solar panels give you free electricity?
Ans3. Solar panels convert sunlight into electrical energy. It is either covered up through PV panels or through mirrors that can concentrate solar radiation.
Check More: Things To Know About Solar Panels On Flat Roof